Oty's Autopsy (Episode 10) by VICKY BON UZUAZOR

Oty's Autopsy
(Episode 10)

It didn't take much imagination to envision the creepy things Omodot was telling Oto.

"You did all these things?" She asked surprisingly. He nodded calmly. "Why are you telling me this now?"  She asked.

"Because I love you too much to let you blindly into the darkness. Working offshore and going to the office daily has been a cover up all the while."

"I now know."  She placed her hand on his cheek. "I am such a fool, I love you too much, despite all these..."

"You're secured and safe here in my arms Oty."

"Omodot..."

"Shhh..." He interrupted as he put his finger across her lip. "Call me Otu, the name my father gave to me."

"Won't Ane be pissed?"

"Ane is pissed right now. From the moment you conceived. But I will protect you and my child." He said soothingly.

Then with a laboured sigh, he drew her into his arms and rested his chin on her head.

"I will protect you my love," He murmured. "I am too tough for Ane to take my peace. You're my peace Oto."

Oto rested her cheek against his chest, marveling at how quickly she had started having pregnancy symptoms. She would have loved the smell of his perfume, but it made  her drowsy. She held him firmer and felt that he was shivering and cold, but the body within radiated heat like a furnace.

"You're unwell my love." She said, sitting up to stare at his face.

"I am fine." He retorted with a pretentious grin.

As the tension began to melt from her muscles, she wondered if Omodot was really going to agree for her to keep the baby, even when their lives was going to be endangered.

Sighing wistfully, she reached into her pajamas shirt and closed her hand around  her amulet that had the face of Omodot in it, "I love you." She whispered, just before drifting into sleep in his arms.

**********************

Forgetting courage and pride, Omodot knelt before reverend Bobsman.

Reverend Bobsman, a big, corpulent fellow with a florid face was in shock, "Omodot, talk to me, what is wrong?" He asked anxiously.

Omodot's face became a bit paler, but he kept it straight and serious. "I am Otu, the son of Ituen, I took Ane as my father ten years ago, and he named me Omodot after I made sacrifices worth a name. I sacrificed my wives, I never loved those ones. I have impressed Ane, intercede for me, beg Ane to help me save the life of my Wife Oto and my unborn child."

Reverend Bobsman trembled, "Don't tell me your wife is pregnant?"

Omodot brought down his face helplessly, and nodded almost in slow motion.

"Oh no!" Reverend Bobsman exclaimed, pulling out his glasses and flinging it on the table. "You should have known this Son, you have served Ane for years, you should have known this."

"Ane didn't give me the power of infertility. How did he expect me to sleep with a woman on her fertile days and not get her pregnant?" Omodot asked with a disturbing glance.

"Ane doesn't make mistakes. He makes rules, and you must abide by them. That is why you're a giant." Reverend Bobsman said boldly.

Omodot was saddened by his words, he stood to his feet and lowered himself slowly on the chair.

"I need help." He said calmly.

"You should know of this already Omodot, there is no second Chance for Ane. You either give your wife to appease Ane, or you give yourself. It's the only options we always have."

For moments, Omodot was left in deep thoughts, "You can help me intercede. You can help me Reverend."

Reverend Bobsman shook his head quietly, doubly confused. "I am so worried and sad that it's you Omodot." He paused for a while, "I will try my best to converse peacefully with Ane, I hope he will be merciful. The truth is, he has never been, not in a situation as worst as this."

Omodot stood to his feet, "Ane should be merciful please,  I Love my wife so much, I love her more than life itself."

Reverend Bobsman laughed heartily, "You're still a small boy Omodot, the love in this world is meaningless. Kill that girl and marry another, live a fulfilled life for Ane."

"There is no life without Otobasi."

Reverend Bobsman sighed and shook his head again, carrying his reading glasses and wearing it, "I wish you good luck, let me talk to Ane."

"Thank you reverend." Omodot said.

He'd gone back home to Oto, and when he saw her on the bed, he was delighted by her sight.

"I wanna spoil you today," He said to her in soft whispers.

He'd stepped into the kitchen to make her favorite meals. She clapped her hand over her mouth when she sat up by her bed.

Her nose twitched in an involuntary response to the enticing aromas drifting up from the satin-draped table at the foot of the bed. A table laden with all her favorite foods. There were strawberries, browned sea scallops in a creamy risotto, fried chicken, palm oil rice with scent leaves. Oto moaned as her empty stomach contracted. Omodot knew all her favorite foods secrets.

She buried her face in her hands, trying to figure out which food she was going to start with first.

She chose a plump chicken breast. But before she could bring it to her lips, Omodot bent to kiss her. The chicken landed on the carpet with a moist plop. She managed a smile weakly and kissed him.

"So sorry..." He said. The husky timbre of his voice sent a strange shiver through her.

She began to eat the chicken again, a moan of sheer delight escaped her. Oven roasted chicken had never tasted so delicious.

He watched her devour the steaming hunk of beef. "This is nice..." She said, "I never knew you are such a great cook."

He cupped her cheek In his hand, gazing into her eyes. "When you told me your name the first day I met you, it reminded me of my real name. My mother called me 'Oty' it reminded me of her too. I have loved you from the first day, you remind of so many things I once loved." He said to her as he ran his thumb across her lip, its callused tip parting them to evoke a primal shiver. 

ABOUT THE STORY WRITER


Vicky Bon Uzuazor is a Nigerian, from Akwa Ibom State. She is the author of various Ebooks including Diary of a Pastor's wife and The Church Scandal. She founded Vickybonsfiction in June 2017. She writes Nigerian and African Stories.



Comments