Oty's Autopsy (Episode 3) by VICKY BON UZUAZOR

Oty's Autopsy
(Episode 3)

Their first date was at an expensive wine bar in town. Oto was dressed in her favorite denim. He'd driven to her house that evening, and as she stepped into the car and fixed the seat belt, he couldn't take his eyes off her. He smelt of cigarette, a light smell, but she could still perceive it in the midst of the cold air condition.

"You say you're born again, but you smoke." She said.

He giggled, and then drove into the streets as he smiled at her words.

"Where in the bible is it written that smoking cigarette is a sin? I want..."

"Don't be ridiculous," She interjected, her voice was still low.

"This is our first hangout, we shouldn't biker about my bad habits now. We should talk more about ourselves. But first, I want you to know that I am a very sincere human, and I would want you to be sincere to me too. I love God so much, and I know he doesn't care about my bad habits. If you wanna be my woman, you should love me as God loves me too."

He breathed deeply and turned to face her. "I like you a whole lot." He paused, studying her, "You don't look surprised."

Her brow was knit in a frown. "Surprised about?"

"About my liking you. I have feelings for you."

"I heard that, I am not surprise because I have been hurt a lot of times, my ex said sweeter words. Men have sugar coated tongues."

"I am not that kind of a man. I am God fearing, I won't hurt you. What are you afraid of?" He asked, turning left as he packed in front of the classy restaurant.

"I am afraid of heartbreak. I think you are like every other man, you might hurt me if I refuse having sex with you, I don't like sex that much." She said shyly.

He stared at her mutely, and went on. "I am a very straight forward person. I don't hurt women. I don't have a history of hurting any woman. My ex left me when I had nothing, but that can't change me. I am humane. I fear God."

She heaved a sigh. "Let's not talk about this anymore. Ask me anything." She said.

"From now on, I want to be your lover, you'll meet my pastor and I'll meet your parents soon."

"Too soon to meet my parents, I am not..."

"Shhh..." He cut in, "I don't wanna date you, I want a wife. I have found a wife in you."

"You barely know me, You and I are just meeting for the second time."

"It doesn't matter. How long does it take to know someone without still finding flaws in that person?" There was something in his tone of voice, something in his expression that she found chilling. But at last, he'd convinced her.

Her best friend Diana would be happy to hear that she has found love again, after Chibuike's crash.

She looked up at him, and wished he would kiss her. "let's go sip wine." He said as he alighted from the car and opened the car door for her. She felt happy as she got out of the car and walked majestically into the bright lighted restaurant that had scented candles and flowers fixed on each glass table.

Omodot was a perfect gentle man. Just her kind of man. He'd not kissed her on the first date, or tried to touch her like the other guys, he was different.

Diana left out a huff of breath after she listened to Oto's beautiful description of her new man.

"He is heaven!" Oto exaggerated.

"You should pray more about this your man. You're becoming obsessed." Diana said as she stood to her feet and removed her lab coat, placing it on the chair, she fell back on it.

Oto suppressed the smile, "He loves me. We met at the gym, the way he looks at me enh, he is rich, so rich, he doesn't need to say. And you know what is more amazing about this man? He is rich, yet not boastful. you can only identify his wealth by the expensive things he wears. You should see his wrist watch and his slippers, he smells like a big boy!"

Diana made a face, a funny face. "You really like this your new man because he is rich abi?"

Oto sucked in a breath. "He is my mom's kind of man for me too."

Oto was becoming maudlin and sniffed.

"It's not about this man and what your mother wants, it is what you want for yourself. You should go for what God wants for you, it is what will work for you." Diana said. Her words were hollow to Oto.
She was the only friend Oto had, since from childhood. And being a core Christian girl hadn't changed her stylish nature. She was a laboratory scientist, who worked at the university teaching hospital.

"I am a fallen woman," Oto said, "This man has come to lift me."

Diana's shrug was barely perceptible. "Don't lecture me about fallen woman nonsense, I am a child of God, and no woman has ever fallen, as far as you worship a living God."

There was a challenge in her eyes, but she was too worn out to respond to it.

"You're only a lucky Christian girl who has never been heart broken and abused. I have found true love and I won't let it slip away because of your so-called doctrines." Oto said, her eyes went molten.

Comments