JACQUELINE ADVENTURE. Episode 1. Story by Miriam Eyen Efik.

JACQUELINE ADVENTURE.
Episode 1.
Story by Miriam Eyen Efik.

Rushing home with my tray of plantain so I can attend the evening prayers in my church, Doris bumped into me. I know she did that on purpose but I apologised first and wanted walking away but she hit me causing my tray to fall, "what's your problem this time? I asked her. " hmmmm don't you know I've gotten into secondary school, and you're still looking dirty hawking, she told me. "I can't remember telling you I was in any competition with you, congratulations anyway if that's what you wanted hearing, I said and picked my tray on the floor and left.
Distance away from the house I heard my mother screams inside, I threw my tray and ran in to see her pinned on the wall with my father hand on her neck, " Papa do you want to kill her! I shouted and held him but one fling of his hand landed me on the floor, "Papa please leave her alone! I shouted and held his leg, but he kicked me and let go of my mother leaving her gasping for breath, " foolish people, he cursed and left the house  " mummy are you okay? I asked my mum but she nodded, "what did you do this time? I asked her, " the little money I was saving for you to go to secondary school, he wanted collecting it from me so he can spend it on alcohol, I refused that's why he wanted to kill me, my mum said. "You should have given it to him, I am not in a hurry to go to school, I said crying already, " I want you to bring me out of this pain, I know you going to school will make you bring your dreams come true, she said cleaning my tears. "That's going to take time you know, eh eh I saw a evening school as I was Hawking, I'll go register there because the fees is not too much, I said to her and she hurriedly untied her wrapper and brought out 5,000 naira, " take this and go there immediately, if it's not complete I'll try to complete it soon ok, she said giving the money to me. "Thank you mummy, but I'll go there tomorrow, I have church to attend now, I said to her. " ok make sure you keep the money well, won't you eat? She asked me, "when I come back I'll eat, I said and helped her from the floor, washed my legs and hurried up to church.

The opening prayer was already over, I was not happy about that at all. Rather I sat at the back seat and covered my head praying to God until I didn't even know when I fell asleep, I felt someone tapped me and I raised my head to see the pastor looking at me, " oh daddy good evening, I greeted him getting on my feet. "Jacq you're tired I can see, he said and I nodded, " the service is over, go home and rest, he said to me and I nodded to leave, "what's the problem Jacq? He asked stoping me again, " daddy nothing, I replied him. "Your eyes looks pale, you were crying, he said and I cleaned my eyes, " may be that was when I was praying, probably I cried in the process, I replied him. "Have you started school yet? He asked me and I shook my head, " ooppss you're not getting younger anymore and very soon you might not have the boldness to start jss1 with children you've long senior in age, he said. "We are saving money for that daddy, I said and he shook his head, and brought out 5,000naira again from his pocket and gave it to me, " I know it's not enough, I wish I can help more than that but I hope it should go a long way, he said to me as I collected the money with shaking hands, "daddy thank you, God will bless you, I said going on my knees and he held me up, " hurry and go home, it's late, he said and I nodded and left.

"Jacqueline! I heard my name and turned to see the pastor second  son who should be about 17 years old, " uncle good evening, I greeted him with all respect because I was always scared of him. "What did my father gave to you in the church? He asked me but I kept quiet " are you now dumb? He asked again. "Money, he said I should give it to my mother so she can get plantain for him, I replied. " hmmmmm why are you smelling like this, he said turning his nose in a mockery manner, "am sorry, I'll go take my bath now, I said, " go go go go, he said waving his hands at me and I left quietly.
I went home and met my mother sitting outside, I greeted her and showed her the money pastor gave to me, "aahhh this will go a long way, first thing tomorrow morning register yourself ok and if any money remains use it to buy textbooks ok, my mum said to me and my dad entered. I quickly the money at the band of my skirt and greeted him, " don't look at me like that, won't you give me food! He shouted on us and my mum stood up, "Jacq go and take your bath, my mum said and I went inside too...

TBC
#milove

Comments