A GOOD TURN by MIRIAM EYEN EFIk



#A_GOOD_TURN❤

She was that dull student back there in school, I never knew her not until she passed by one day in our lecture hall and my friends talked about her, "dah if that girl speak English for here, you go just faint, one of them said to me. Since that day I noticed she's a type that sits alone in class, not friendly and she was always mocked especially by girls who saw her as a fool.

I got angry and walked up to her, " hi, I'm Mabel, I said and sat on the close chair beside her but she only gave that shy smile because she was scared of speaking out. From that day, Anytime I see her, I do tap and greet her friendly and she became so close to Me. I helped her in anyway I could until our 300l when she came to school crying, I asked what the problem was, in the little way she could express herself I came to understand she'll be dropping out because her mum died during the weekend. I consoled with her and asked her to be strong "don't conclude You will drop out yet just because your mum is dead, God can bring in a sponsor for you, I said to her. " nooo only my mama is there to train me, she said cleaning her tears as I looked in pity...

Years went by, everyone graduated and found his/herself struggling in the labour market. I kept walking from office to office seeking for job until I got tired. I went in to learn trade(fashion designing) after three years of graduating from the University looking for a job.
Then one fateful day as i was learning, my friends back in the university came to tell me about the job opportunity they heard, and they asked me to try it out. They were quite lucky they atleast had something to do unlike me, but they were not satisfied. I sluggishly accepted to give it a try the next day, I went home, brought out my certificates and arranged it well then wrote an application.

The next morning I was set to go, we all submitted our applications and as we were about leaving, a beautiful lady walked in, "hmmm she must be a big woman here oo, one of my friends whispered as we stood admiring her. She passed us, then stopped and looked back, " Mabel, I heard my name behind. I turned back together with my friends and she removed her sun glasses. Right before me was the deuce and local girl everyone knew back then in school, "Ruth, I whispered in shock and my bag fell down. " Mabel it's you, she ran and hugged me shouting. "Ah Ruth baby long time, my friends shouted and wanted hugging her too but she held my hand to drag me away, I had to bend and get my bag from the ground watching my friends looking embarrassed.

I entered into her well spacious and exquisite office, I sat down still not believing my eyes, " this can't be, Ruth how did you do it? I asked but she smiled and sat down opposite. "What are you doing here Mabel? She asked. 'My sister work oo, no job everywhere since when I graduated, so you work here? I asked and she nodded. " but how, I mean how? I said sitting up so eager to know.

"You know after the death of my mother I had to drop out as I told you. I know you don't know anything about me, I have always wished to tell you things as a best friend and only friend I had who accepted and encouraged me but I was unable to express myself. I am the only child of my parents and ermm my dad died when I was 3, so my mum has always been the one taking care of me. My dad left some assets which my mum struggled with his family members, and we used that to survive At least. When my mum finally died, I knew my own is finished because I couldn't fight with those old village men who won't mind to kill me so they can get what they want.

I stayed back after my mum was buried, before her burial they took everything they wanted leaving me with my father's old house, but I was able to safe some little amount of money. I used that to open a little shop outside, combined with crying of bean cake so I can survive. But one afternoon, I was just sitting in my shop when a Jeep drove in. The man came down and I greeted him, he asked about my dad and I told him he's dead. He removed his hat and shouted looking at me sadly, "sorry my dear, I didn't hear of his death, of course I would have come to his burial. What about your mum? He asked. " she died last month, I told him which he looked shocked too, "what's really going on? Why didn't anyone tell me this? He asked angrily which he knows I cant answer such a question. " how are you surviving? He asked. "I simply showed him the akara I fried and the little stuffs I had in my shop. It was easy to communicate with him because he heard my dialect and I told him everything my dad family members did. He shook his head and told me whatever he is today is because of my dad, he regretted for not coming down for so many years but something happened that made him remember my father that is why he came down to see him no matter what.

Hmmm my sister to cut the story short, he took me to Abuja, enrolled me into a evening school and even employed a teacher to teach me in the day. When he saw I was Sound in my speaking, he flew me abroad, there I studied pharmacy and also there I found my husband. He is the owner of this company and I graduated just last year, Ruth explained as Mabel just sat down asking herself if she is really dreaming. " this life eh, no one knows tomorrow oo, Mabel finally found her voice.
"That's true, don't worry I gat you covered here. Come with me, she said, " to where Na? Mabel asked. "Don't forget ONE GOOD TURN, DESERVE ANOTHER, Ruth quoted and we left the office together......

that was how I had favour and gat a position I never imagined I could get just because I showed kindness to a lady who everyone thought was a nobody.

Favour does not look at the vocabulary labeled in your speech, but when it jams with you, it changes your speech instantly.

Finishing the University first is not a criteria that you are far better than that person who is still studying, you might one day come to ask for job from that person you left in school.

But how will they help you in your time of need when you never for once helped anybody๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•

Show kindness in the little way you can, don't look down on somebody, be an encouragement to that brother or sister you feel is going through hard times, always for once try to put a smile on someone face and a little hope to a dying heart.

STORY WRITTEN BY Miriam Eyen Efik๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ

#milove

Comments