OBIAGELI

OBIAGELI

Obiageli and I were good friends In the university. I met her on my first day at prefab hostel in the university of uyo. She appeared to be very rich and famous. She was one of the girls I admired at first sight. She was one of these girls you describe as "big and classy".

" if you are new I can help you locate your room, your natural hair is fine, I love women on low cut but can't cut mind, my man won't permit me" she said as fast as she could. She was a fast talker. I was still mute, following her at the back like a little puppy.

She looked really expensive. I stared at the beautiful, silky human hair called Peruvian hair fall to her shoulders....at that time, only girls who could afford blackberry phones, Brazilian hairs and Rolex wrist watches could have it. And obiageli had all of these things. Her skin was shiny...she had this ebony dark skin that glowed beautifully. After she helped in arranging my things she said " I like you, I don't usually like calaber girls because they snatch people's rich boyfriends". She said looking directly into my eyes.
" I don't take people's friends o, I have a boyfriend, but he doesn't stay here, he stays in Paris" I lied.
" woooow, he must be very rich, why are you then carrying a Nokia touch light, tell him to buy you a black berry phone" she said
" when next we talk on phone I will sure let him know".
Every time I was with Obiageli, she either talked about her man, the new hair in vogue or 5k subscription money. " my man hasn't given me my monthly allowee...he knows that my tube cream is 35k and it finishes after every 1month, my father pays me 300k monthly, my mother works with NNPC, my uncle who is the deputy Governor of kwara state is buying me a car next month and I am taking you to the movies with it" she reels off all these sentences in one minute and sometimes I didn't get some words.
Her two phones rang frequently... When the call is from her mom, she runs to the toilet. When it was from her man friend she will pick the call and say loudly " when are you coming back from America baby? Have you bought my designer's perfume? What about the Vera Wang office wear?" She said this so loud that everyone in the hostel can hear her...and then the next day I will begin to hear students whisper " Obiageli boyfriend stays in America".
At one time, Obiageli's phone rang again...she ran to the toilet as usual because it was from her mom I followed her behind and had to eave drop to their conversation...
"Mama otú m nwere ike inyere ọzọ....I sent you people ten thousand naira last Friday isn't it enough? Is papa sick again? Nwanu take him to the hospital let him receive treatment so that he can resume his coffin making job and support my siblings... And you should help In your casava business too...I will come to village next week"....
When I knew the call was ending I ran back to my room unseen by her.

" my man friend called, he is inviting me to the US next week, I need to go for a full body spa so that my skin can remain flawless for him alone, you know am the only child to my parents they've promised to send 250k tomorrow for my allowee, dad said he is broke".she kept on narrating, by this time sleep came knocking again. I always feel sleepy when talks get boring.

Comments